Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Housing > Industry regulation > Residential services > Information for local government

Information for local government

Local governments do not have specific compliance and monitoring roles regarding the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002.

However, they do play a part in the registration and accreditation process.

Registration process

To register their residential service, service providers must lodge a building compliance notice issued by the local government authority within the previous 12 months (under MP 5.7 of the Queensland Development Code).
To obtain the notice of compliance, they complete an application for a building compliance notice and lodge it with the local government in their business's area.
The local government must issue the building compliance notice within 20 days of receiving the application.


If a premises fails to meet specified standards, the local government must give the provider a non-compliance notice within 20 days of application. The notice must state the reasons for non-compliance and what the service provider can do to comply.
The service provider has 20 business days after receiving the non-compliance notice to appeal the decision.

Amending or renewing

Providers need to register their service only once. However, if they change service premises, they must apply to amend their registration.
The new application must include a building compliance notice, issued in the previous 12 months, for the new premises.
When providers renew their accreditation (usually every 3 years) they must also include a building compliance notice issued in the previous 12 months.

Building work on the premises

A development application for building work on a residential service premises cannot be approved until the local government confirms in writing that the building work complies with the building requirements.

Accreditation and renewal processes

If providers apply for Level 2 accreditation (food service), the local government must confirm that providers are meeting their obligations under food hygiene legislation.
Before we grant approval to renew a residential service's accreditation, the local government must undertake a site inspection of the premises and give the service provider a notice of compliance (or non-compliance).

Impact of the Act on local government

Local governments do not have enforcement responsibilities under the Act. Officers in the Regulatory Services Unit undertake compliance and monitoring activities.
The Act does not affect existing statutory responsibilities and enforcement roles of local government, such as those relating to the Building Act, state food hygiene and public health legislation.

Last updated 27 September 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government