Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Housing > Industry regulation > Residential services

Residential services

A residential service provides accommodation for four or more people who live in one or more rooms and individually pay rent. Typically, each resident has the right to occupy one or more rooms but not the whole premises. Residents in a residential service share facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen. Some services also provide residents with food or a personal care service as part of their accommodation agreement.
Another form of residential service is known as aged rental accommodation. This provides accommodation to a person who rents a self-contained unit and who receives food or personal care service from (or on behalf of) the service provider.

Services not included

Some accommodation services are not considered to be residential services. These include:

Public register

View a public register of residential services including registration and accreditation details.

Information for operators

If you are a residential service operator, you must comply with the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002.
You can view our guide to learn more about the requirements set out in the Act including:
If your residential service is assisting a resident with their medication, the Guideline for Medication Assistance (PDF, 1.60MB) will support you to develop policies and procedures, implement safe practices and to minimise the risk of harm from inappropriate use of medication.
If your residential service provides a food service, The Healthy eating in supported accommodation toolkit, will help you meet the requirements of providing a food service in section 43c of the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002. The toolkit will help you provide nutritious food for residents, adjust meals for residents with special needs, and support residents to make healthier food choices. This toolkit can also be used by clinicians working with people living with a mental illness and/or intellectual disability.
For more information on residential services, you can view our forms.

Contact us

Regulatory Services manages the residential services' registration and accreditation process.
Regulatory Services
Phone: (07) 3008 3450
Fax: (07) 3008 5960
Post: GPO Box 690, Brisbane Qld 4001

Last updated 03 December 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government