Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Housing > Private housing > Home ownership > Property Insurance

Property Insurance

Insurance requirements

Do you need building insurance?

Yes, as the department holds a registered Mortgage over the property, you must ensure that:
  1. the department is fully informed at all times of insurance arrangements on the property;
  2. minimum conditions regarding insurance coverage are observed;
  3. insurance coverage on the property is maintained.

Can you change insurance companies?

Yes, you can choose to change insurance companies at any time.
However, it is important that you advise the department of the details as soon as possible. Please forward a copy of the new policy for the department's records.
Approval to delete the department's interest from the original policy can then be given.

What if you can't afford to pay the premium?

You should check if your insurer will accept monthly payments if this is a suitable option for you.
If not, you can request the department to pay the outstanding premium. The amount of the outstanding premium plus an administration fee will be charged to your loan account.
You will then be contacted by the department to enter into a suitable arrangement to repay this premium and fee.
Please note: The department does not hold an interest in the contents of your dwelling and will pay the premium on the building only.
Send all information in relation to your property insurance to or post it to:
Loans Delivery and Management
Loans and Debt Management
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 690
Brisbane QLD 4001

More information

To find out more detailed information about insurance requirements, email

Last updated 01 August 2016    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2018

Queensland Government