Community Rent Scheme | Department of Housing and Public Works

Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Housing > Social housing > Community housing > Information for providers > Community Rent Scheme

 Community Rent Scheme

Community Rent Scheme—Program specifications (PDF, 55 KB)

The Community Rent Scheme (CRS) helps registered providers to deliver transitional housing to eligible people. This housing is used as a transition to longer term housing or other secure housing options.

Funding is given to providers to lease a private rental or department-owned property.

Providers under the CRS must be accredited as specified in section 8A of the Housing Regulation 2003 (PDF, 482KB) (the Regulation).


In providing transitional housing, the CRS aims to:

  • provide timely housing assistance that is responsive to people with a very high, high or urgent need for housing who meet the eligibility criteria.
  • help connect and improve the pathways between the homelessness and social housing sectors. Transitional housing does this by providing intensively managed and closely monitored housing assistance based on assessed need.


To be eligible for the CRS, applicants must:

Allowable expenditure

In achieving the objectives of the program you must only use Receipts for Allowable Expenditure

For further details please refer to the Allowable Expenditure and Surplus Policy.(PDF, 145 KB).

Policy requirements

You must comply with your obligations under the Housing Regulation, including your obligations to keep and implement policies in sections 25, 26, 26B, 28 and 34.

Each policy requirement detailed below must be read together with the assistance agreement and the Regulation.

  • Referrals Policy (s25 of the Regulation)
  • Eligibility Policy (s26 of the Regulation)
  • Allocations Policy (s26B of the Regulation)
  • Dispute Resolution and Review of Decisions (s29 of the Regulation)
  • Rent (s34 of the Regulation)

Tenancy planning and review

You must implement the Tenancy Planning and Review policy, procedures and guidelines as provided by the department.

Property management

You must not use the funds to lease any property from or to any:

  • employee or officer of the provider
  • family member, partner or relative of an employee or officer of the provider
  • entity which is owned, in full or in part, by either a person listed above, or which that person may have an interest (e.g. shares).

All property used to supply a housing service must be kept in good order and repair.

Maintenance and repairs

When you carry out repairs, any broken items must be replaced with items of a similar standard. Maintenance must be carried out in a lawful manner and be of good quality, durable, and made of low maintenance materials to cater for high wear and tear.

You must comply with all laws and regulations in relation to the health and safety of people using or entering the property.

Purchases made and work undertaken relating to the property must:

  • represent the best value for money
  • be completed by tradespeople selected through fair and equitable means, free from any conflict of interest
  • where required by law be completed by a qualified licensed tradesperson with adequate insurance cover; and
  • be completed in a timely manner.

If a tradesperson is engaged for an extended period of time, you must periodically check the tradesperson is licensed to carry out the works and holds adequate insurance cover.

Operational levels

Operational levels or quotas of the provider are negotiated between the department and the provider. Things that determine your operational levels or quotas include the:

  • number of properties you manage under the CRS—detailed in the assistance agreement
  • geographic area to be serviced.

Salary oncosts

Salary oncosts are provided by the department at 24% of the salary contribution. These funds must be set aside by the provider to cover staff costs, such as:

  • recreation leave (4 weeks)
  • sick leave (10 days)
  • workers compensation insurance
  • superannuation
  • 17.5 % holiday loading.

These funds must not be used for any other purpose.


You must hold public liability insurance for a minimum amount of $10,000,000 (10 million dollars).

More information

For more information on community housing:

Helpful resources

Last updated 16 February 2016    

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2016

Queensland Government