Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > About us > Complaints and compliments > Appealing a Housing Services decision > Appealing housing service decisions (Housing and Homelessness clients)

Appealing housing service decisions (Housing and Homelessness clients)

 If you are unhappy with a decision we made or made by a registered provider, you may be able to appeal that decision. Usually, you must lodge your appeal within 28 days of the decision being made. There is no charge to lodge an appeal.

An Appeal Application may be accepted outside of this timeframe at the department's discretion on a case-by-case basis.

What can be appealed?

Part 6 of the Housing Act 2003  states you can appeal decisions about:

  • Your eligibility for a social housing service, such as:
    • your application for Social Housing is cancelled or deemed ineligible
    • your transfer application is cancelled or deemed ineligible
    • your application is penalised for refusing an offer of social housing 
    • you are no longer eligible to remain in Community or Public Housing (e.g. ongoing eligibility)
    • you are no longer eligible to remain in a 'reviewable property' (e.g. disability accessible property)
  •  The type of social housing service offered, such as:
    • unit, townhouse, regular detached house, (e.g. ground floor, high-set and/or number of stairs)
    • number of bedroom
  • The place (location) of the social housing service, such as:
    • suburb preferences and/or allocation
    •  proximity to a support service 

Making a complaint

Some decisions may not be appealed, however you may still be able to make a complaint.

How to appeal?

To appeal a decision complete an Appeal Application Form (Form 1) (PDF, 47KB).

Submit your Appeal Application to:

What information should be provided with the appeal? 

State the decision you are appealing against and why  you believe the decision was wrong, unreasonable, or unfair. Copies of any documents you may have to support your appeal can also be attached.

What will happen to your appeal?

  1. Your appeal will be registered with the Housing Appeals and Review Unit (HARU) in Brisbane and allocated an appeal reference number.
  2. We will send you a letter to let you know your appeal has been received (within 5 days of receiving your appeal).  
  3. A different staff member from the area that made the original decision will be asked to  reconsider the decision and provide HARU with its recommendation and reasons.
  4. Your appeal will then be considered based on:
    • the information in your appeal
    • the review recommendation from the area that made the original decision
    • departmental policies and procedures, and its application to your circumstances.
  5. We will then let you know the outcome as soon as we can (usually within 28 days of receiving your appeal).

Unhappy with the appeal decision?

If you think the outcome of your appeal was unreasonable, unfair or wrong, you can contact:

Queensland Ombudsman’s Office
Level 18, 53 Albert Street,
Brisbane Qld 4000
GPO Box 3314
Brisbane Qld 4001
Tel: 3005 7000 or 1800 068 908 


If the decision relates to the responsibilities of the department as a landlord under the the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008, you may wish to contact:

Residential Tenancies Authority
Level 23, 179 Turbot Street
Brisbane Qld 4000
GPO Box 390
Brisbane Qld 4001
Tel: 1300 366 311


Last updated 21 May 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Unsure if you can appeal?

Please talk to us. You can:

  • contact the Housing Appeals and Review Unit on 1300 364 560
  • speak to your nearest Housing Service Centre by calling 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
  • email

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2018

Queensland Government