Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Appealing local government building application decisions

 Appealing local government building application decisions

If your local council has recommended refusing a building development application, and you have a decision notice from a private building certifier refusing the application in line with the council’s recommendation—you may be able to appeal to the Building and Development Dispute Resolution Committees

You must be the owner of the property involved in the application. You cannot appeal if you are unhappy about a development being proposed or built on your neighbour’s property.

You can appeal decisions made under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, the Building Act 1975, the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002, and the South-East Queensland Water (Distribution and Retail Restructuring) Act 2009 that relate to:

  • development application refusals for carports, sheds, garages and other structures
  • enforcement notices
  • compliance assessments
  • plumbing, drainage and more.

In most cases, you only have 20 days to appeal from the time you receive the notice.

Learn about:


You can also apply to have the committees issue a declaration about.

  • whether your application was properly made
  • a matter stated in an acknowledgement notice.

Find out about declarations.

Last updated 11 October 2016    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2017

Queensland Government