Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Appealing local government building application decisions > What you can appeal > Plumbing and drainage appeals

Plumbing and drainage appeals

You can appeal to the Development Tribunals (Tribunals) under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 about:

  • plumbing and drainage works
  • chief executive approvals for on-site sewage and greywater treatment plants
  • compliance assessments of regulated plumbing and drainage work and on-site sewerage work.


If you want to appeal an information notice or an enforcement notice, in most cases you must lodge your appeal within 20 business days of receiving the notice.

If you’ve been given an enforcement notice relating to plumbing, drainage or an on-site sewerage facility that is dangerous, constitutes a health risk or is discharging incorrectly, you only have 5 business days to appeal from the date the notice is given to you.

Find out more about timeframes and how to appeal.

Examples of what you can and cannot appeal

You can appeal against:

  • a deemed refusal (failure to provide an information notice within the prescribed timeframe)
  • a decision not to issue a compliance permit
  • a decision not to issue a compliance certificate
  • an information notice stating that an application for chief executive approval has been approved with conditions, or has been refused
  • a notice that is unlawful or unreasonable.

You cannot appeal against:

  • a decision about licensing or disciplinary matters under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002
  • a show cause notice issued by a local government prior to issuing an enforcement notice under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Last updated 24 August 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

More information

For more information, contact the Registrar, Development Tribunals:

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government