Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Appealing local government building application decisions > What you can appeal

What you can appeal

Matters that Development Tribunals (Tribunals) can make decisions on are under Chapter 6 (Dispute Resolution) of the Planning Act 2016 (PDF, 1.28MB).

For appeal rights to the Tribunals see Schedule 1 of the Planning Act 2016 (PDF, 1.28MB).

Types of appeal and some common examples are listed below.

Type of appeal


Building development applications and approvals

Refused or delayed applications; imposed conditions; inspection of building work; classification of buildings; pool fencing; fire safety for budget accommodation; siting requirements; amenity and aesthetics; building work near or over sewers, water mains, or drains and non compliance with the building assessment provisions and National Construction Code

Development applications and approvals

Applications for the material change of use of a classified building and limited Class 2 buildings (i.e. not more than 3 storeys height and not more than 60 sole-occupancy units)

Enforcement notices (building and plumbing)

Including buildings deemed ‘dangerous’

Infrastructure charges

Errors in calculation, refusals or deemed refusal of an extension or conversion application

Plumbing and drainage

Information notices, compliance permits or compliance certificates

Water and sewerage connections

Decisions on water connections for classified buildings and material change of use for limited Class 2 buildings; particular charges for water connections or a trunk infrastructure charge; refusals to convert non- trunk to trunk infrastructure

In most cases, you only have 20 business days to appeal from the time you receive the decision from a local government or a private building certifier but in some instances where the issue is deemed 'dangerous' you only have 5 business days to appeal.

Learn about:

Last updated 28 March 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government