Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Plumbing > Who's doing your plumbing?

Who's doing your plumbing?

The department, through Building Codes Queensland, supports the Plumbing Industry Council.

Through its 2010-2013 strategic plan, the Plumbing Industry Council has a vision to increase community confidence that licensed plumbing trades protect public health, safety and the environment.

To achieve its vision, the council launched a public awareness campaign in November 2010.

The campaign aimed to encourage consumers to only use licensed plumbers and drainers when choosing someone to undertake regulated plumbing work.

It informed householders why they should choose a licensed plumber and emphasised that plumbers and drainers who are licensed by the Plumbing Industry Council possess the necessary skills and qualifications to complete a professional job that meets Australian Standards.

Read the Who's doing your plumbing flyer (PDF, 251KB).

Using a licensed plumber or drainer

Using licensed plumbers and drainers is the simplest and most effective way of ensuring that plumbing work complies with regulations to minimise unnecessary risk to your family's health and safety.

Rectifying defective or non-compliant work can be far more expensive than the original cost.

As a consumer, using an appropriately qualified plumber or drainer will help to protect you and your family as well as your bank account.

Check the licence

If you want to confirm a person is appropriately licensed, and that their licence is current, contact the Plumbing Industry Council on 1800 682 021 (free call), (07) 3235 4149 or

Occupational and contractor licences for plumbing

In some instances, it may be necessary for a tradesperson to hold both an occupational and contractor licence to carry out work, regardless of the value.

The Plumbing Industry Council administers the occupational licensing system for plumbers, drainers and fire sprinkler installers.

The Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) (formerly the Building Services Authority (BSA))administers the contractor licensing system.

Check the contractor licence

To check whether a person holds a QBCC licence search the QBCC website or call 1300 272 272.

Work that can be done by an unlicensed person

Below is a list of the unregulated work that can be performed by an unlicensed person; all other plumbing and drainage work must be undertaken by an appropriately licensed person.

Sanitary plumbing and sanitary drainage

For sanitary plumbing and sanitary drainage:

  • cleaning or maintaining ground level grates to traps on sanitary drains
  • replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on sanitary drains
  • maintaining an above or below ground irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from an on-site sewerage facility.

Water plumbing:

For water plumbing:

  • installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from an isolating valve, tap or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the irrigation or lawn watering system
  • replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap
  • changing a shower head
  • replacing, in a water closet (WC) cistern, a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber.

More information

Contact the Plumbing Industry Council on 1800 682 021 (free call), (07) 3235 4149 or

For information about QBCC licences call 1300 272 272 or visit the QBCC website.

Last updated 03 March 2014

Share on LinkedIn

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2014

Queensland Government