Government Employee Housing
Government Employee Housing (GEH) owns and manages the Queensland Government’s employee housing portfolio. This helps agencies to deliver essential services by supporting suitable, cost efficient accommodation for employees.
What we do
Our portfolio has approximately 3100 residences which provide homes for doctors, nurses, police officers, teachers and other government workers across Queensland.
This state-owned housing is for government employees in:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- remote locations with minimal private rental options.
We use private rental options for employees in urban centres where there is a strong rental market.
The Tenancy Management team:
- works with agencies to manage the leasing of GEH properties
- coordinate rates, utilities and body corporate payments, vacancies, and programs such as cleaning and pest control.
- works closely with government agents, councils and client agencies and their tenants.
The Asset Management team:
- work with QBuild to manage the upgrading and maintenance of properties
- arrange general property inspections, and condition and functional assessments across the portfolio’s properties
- delivers the divestment strategy and capital works program.
Selling our surplus housing helps reduce the costs to manage and maintain government-owned housing.
Revenue from the sales program is re-invested to fund:
- new construction in remote areas Queensland
- backlog maintenance on our properties.
We aim for the divestment of GEH properties in areas where there are strong rental markets. Full or partial divestment can be through:
- The Sales to Tenants program
- real estate marketing
- local council re-use of properties
- transfers to community housing providers.
Selling our surplus housing helps to reduce ongoing costs of managing and maintaining government-owned residential properties.
Asbestos in government-owned residences
The Built Environment Materials Information Register (BEMIR) register contains information about known, confirmed, assumed and removed asbestos at department owned residences.
- call (07) 3008 2730
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tenancy Management team: GEHTenancy@hpw.qld.gov.au
- Asset Management team: GEHAssets@hpw.qld.gov.au
- Maintenance: GEHMaintenance@hpw.qld.gov.au
- Private real estate enquiries: GEHRealEstate@hpw.qld.gov.au
- Last updated:
- 29 November 2019