First Nations Digital Careers Program
About the program
The Queensland Government have partnered with Microsoft to launch the First Nations Digital Careers Program. The Program is aimed at First Nations People interested in kick starting or transitioning to a career in the digital industry.
Reasons for the program
The digital industry is experiencing huge growth globally – it is now the fastest growing job market in the world.
- Digital now impacts every aspect of our lives and is creating lots of job opportunities
- There are thousands of different types of jobs in digital
- The digital industry in Queensland needs 10,000 additional professionals by 2024
- There is a shortage of digital skills across both government and businesses.
How it works
The program will aim to offer 100 placements per year across Queensland. First Nations people with varying levels of digital skills and experience have the opportunity to participate in the program. Participants can study a range of courses and be placed into jobs either within Queensland Government, Microsoft or one of their partner employers.
Cultural safety will be at the core of the program. We are committed to placing participants into jobs with employers that are culturally appropriate and supportive.
Currently recruiting: 10 Traineeships – Certificate III in Information Technology (IT)
The program is currently recruiting for 10 paid traineeships where participants will be enrolled into a Certificate III in Information Technology (IT), provided with additional training to support their learning and placed into a job.
Successful applicants will receive:
- a paid job in the digital field with flexible work and leave arrangements
- an opportunity to work with leading employers
- a Certificate III in Information Technology (IT) upon completion of their studies
- on-the-job training, experience and learning
- mentoring, assistance and pastoral care
- continued job opportunities at the end of their traineeship.
Below is the eligibility criteria applicants need to meet:
- identify as a First Nations person, of any age group
- no prior experience in ICT or digital roles is necessary, however your willingness to learn with an interest in digital will be desirable
- available to start in July 2022
- ability to attend studies and a workplace within the greater Brisbane area*
- submit the required application documentation (see How to apply section below).
* Following its first phase of traineeship recruitment, the program will expand further to include a range of locations across Queensland.
How to apply
To apply for the program please submit both a:
- resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- short paragraph on why you are interested in the program and this opportunity.
Support is available to help you write your resume.
Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have partnered with an Indigenous Registered Training Organisation to assist with the recruitment process.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to discuss their goals, and what they’re looking for in a career and employer. They will then be matched to potential employers based on selection criteria.
We are committed to open communication throughout the process to ensure both an applicant’s and employer’s needs are closely matched.
- Applications open 6 June 2022.
- Applications close 5pm, 4 July 2022.
Ph: 1300 998232
- Last updated:
- 15 June 2022