Investing in physical activity for Queensland
What we want to achieve
We acknowledge the role that the sport and active industry plays in encouraging participation, however we want Queenslanders to be able to participate in the physical activities they enjoy.
Traditionally the focus of our investment has been in sport and active recreation activities. Over time, our funding model will change to be outcomes-based, meaning that organisations and activities that meet the objectives of the strategy will have an opportunity for government investment.
Activate! Queensland will:
- see a direct Queensland Government investment of $1.3 billion over 10 years to improve opportunities to participate in physical activity
- coordinate investment under a shared vision across Queensland Government agencies
- deliver initiatives through a collaborative approach
- form partnerships with mature and sustainable organisations in the active industry to deliver initiatives and achieve outcomes against key targets.
How we are taking action
Over the next 10 years, a new coordinated investment approach across government will:
- activate more communities
- provide more opportunities for Queenslanders to participate in physical activity.
The investment will enhance Queensland’s high performance pathways to ensure the continued success of the state’s elite athletes.
Through this investment reform, Queenslanders will have places and spaces to support physical activity.
Initiatives delivered under the investment will:
- target inactive Queenslanders who face the most barriers to accessing physical activity opportunities
- prioritise quality and equity as fundamental to the physical activity experience
- influence the physical and social environments where people live, work and learn to encourage active lifestyles
- strengthen knowledge-sharing across the active industry, universities and government agencies
- facilitate long-term planning through sectors and whole-of-government collaboration
- maximise the impact of the active industry by supporting improved sustainability, to provide market-driven, quality and affordable services to Queenslanders
- maximise the use of existing state-owned facilities to provide more physical activity opportunities.
- Last updated:
- 29 November 2019