- Having a safe, secure and affordable place to call home underpins participation in education, training, employment and community life.
- Housing facilitates clear pathways to economic independence.
- Housing services support aspirations for a better future.
Pathways to success
- Reform our intake, assessment and allocations process to capture people’s needs holistically, and develop Home Pathway Plans to facilitate a more person-centred response.
- Deliver pathways to home ownership for existing public housing tenants who may have the fi nancial capacity through the provision of loans, shared equity and rent-to-buy schemes. We will work in partnership with industry to improve opportunities for home ownership.
- Remove disincentives and ensure that income does not impact on family rental obligations to encourage pathways to employment and training for targeted young people in public housing, including young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Implement a new tenancy engagement program for people living in public housing to promote participation and inclusion.
Tools for success
- Deliver a new suite of fl exible assistance packages to enable access to private rental properties including loans, subsidies, head-leases and supports, and an extension of Bond Loans.
- Provide flexible assistance packages to women escaping domestic and family violence to support independence and enable a choice of housing that best meets their needs.
- Ensure that Home Pathway Plans address financial management, to increase independence and enable a greater range of future housing choices for public housing tenants.
- Introduce a rent deduction scheme for public housing tenants as part of the broader national agenda to support trials in financial management.
Closing the gap
- Investigate and establish a new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander housing body that will work with Indigenous Community Housing Organisations and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Councils to improve Indigenous housing outcomes in urban, regional and remote communities across Queensland.
- Develop an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Housing Action Plan dealing with housing outcomes and complex challenges in urban, regional, remote and discrete communities, under the framework of the Queensland Housing Strategy.
- Deliver an accommodation facility for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women from remote communities pursuing education and employment opportunities, in partnership with the private sector.
Find out more
- Last updated:
- 29 November 2019