Sport and active recreation strategy consultation 2018
What we asked
We asked for feedback across 4 priority areas:
- Elite success: How do we ensure our athletes are as successful as they can be and that our major sporting facilities are world class and continue to attract national and international events?
- Economic growth and jobs: How can we deliver jobs and economic benefit by investing in organisations, facilities and spaces that meet the needs of Queenslanders now and into the future?
- Community connection and equality: How can we use physical activity to bring people together in vibrant sport and active recreation spaces across the state?
- Healthy Queenslanders: How do we encourage and support Queenslanders to get moving and keep moving?
What you told us
- More places and spaces: Improve access to, and provide more, places and spaces from elite to grassroots.
- Design places for people: Multi-purpose spaces and people at the forefront of design
- Physical activity for all: Equal access for Queenslanders.
- Let everyone play: Solutions to meet the needs of various abilities, ages and populations.
- Local solutions and champions: Tailored solutions and local role models to overcome participation barriers.
- You need to know about it: An integrated information source to show Queensland’s diverse participation opportunities.
- Be inspired: Queenslanders support campaigns that inspire them to live active lives and see elite athletes as great role models.
- Connect the dots: Coordination across government, the community, and sport and active recreation industry.
How you had your say
Over the course of the consultation period, we had:
- 2,383 online responses to surveys (568 from children and young people)
- 2,021 short postcard survey responses
- 505 participants at community sessions
- 637 participants at sector deep dives and department-led sessions
- 91 written submissions
- 585,000 Queenslanders reached through social media.
Thousands of Queenslanders had their say through 7 surveys tailored to:
- members of the public
- children and young people
- sport and recreation organisations
- community organisations.
Events in the community
We went to sport and community events, in addition to the public consultation sessions held at 14 locations across Queensland:
- Gold Coast
- Mount Isa
- Moreton Bay
- Sunshine Coast
- Last updated:
- 29 November 2019