Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Building > Building approvals > Engaging a private certifier

Engaging a private certifier

Most private building certifiers advertise their services in the Yellow Pages.

You can find out about the accreditation history of a private or local government building certifier by contacting the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (the Commission) (formerly the Building Services Authority).

The agreement to engage a private certifier must be in writing and state the certification fee. Most private certifiers will have a standard engagement agreement.

Code of conduct

All accredited building certifiers are bound by a strict code of conduct, and have an obligation to always act in the public interest.

Severe penalties can apply if they fail in these duties.

Queensland Building and Construction Commission audits

The Commission carries out audits of building certifiers' work, investigates complaints and can take disciplinary action against building certifiers found guilty of professional misconduct.

Anyone can lodge a complaint with the Commission against the action of a building certifier.

More information

You can buy the Consumer Guide from the Commission, which provides advice about the building process and building practitioners.

Last updated 18 July 2014    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government