Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Building > Building approvals

Building approvals

A building development approval is required before starting construction on most types of domestic building work.

These approvals are also known as building permits and can be obtained from either your local council or a private building certifier.

Approval of domestic building work

Council building certifiers and private building certifiers must be licensed with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. Building certifiers are responsible for assessing whether proposed building work complies with all relevant provisions of the Building Act 1975 and associated standards.

Building certifiers will also be able to advise whether a building approval is required. Some minor building work may be accepted development.

Some aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character of a building may be controlled under a council planning scheme and a planning permit is required from council.

Inspection timing

The building approval will state which inspections are required and at what stages of construction.

Supervision and quality

It is the shared responsibility of the contractor and owner to ensure the building work is carried out to an acceptable standard.

More information

If you are looking for information about lodging a development application under the Planning Act 2016, read the information on development applications.

Last updated 04 July 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government