Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Plumbing and drainage > Permit applications > Amending or extending a permit

Amending or extending a permit

If you wish to amend or extend an existing permit, you can apply to a local government rather than start a new application.

Use Form 2—Application to amend a permit including an extension of time (PDF, 133KB).

The approval time frames are the same as for the original application (fast-track or standard).

Amending an existing permit

If you need to substantially change the work covered by the original application, you must apply to amend the existing permit approval.

The local government needs to approve and issue the permit before you can start the additional work.

If a local government inspector finds a substantial inconsistency between the work observed at an inspection and an approved work plan, they may give the responsible person an action notice and stop them carrying out the work to apply for an amended permit.

Alternatively, the responsible person may need to give the local government an as-constructed diagram that accurately represents the work.

The local government may amend an approved plan with minor inconsistencies at any stage of the work to correctly represent the work done. They don’t need to request an application to amend an existing permit approval.

Extending an existing permit

Permits remain in force for 2 years unless the permit provides for a longer period.

The permit’s term may be extended for up to 2 years. There is no limit to the number of times you can apply for an extension.

A permit takes effect the day it’s issued. You need to apply for an extension at least 10 business days before the end of the permit’s term.

Applying to amend or extend permit

To apply to amend or extend a permit, complete Form 2—Application to amend a permit including an extension of time (PDF, 133KB) and provide:

  • any other required documents​
  • written consent for the work from the South East Queensland (SEQ) service provider if the application relates to SEQ water or sewerage work (if the local government isn’t the water service provider)
  • the local government application fee.

The process for applying to amend a permit is similar to that for a new permit. However, you don’t need to include information you provided with the original application if it hasn’t changed significantly.

Similarly, the local government need not reconsider any information or documentation assessed as part of the original application unless changes have been made.​​

Last updated 30 June 2019    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government