Hydrogen in Queensland
Queensland is well placed for renewable hydrogen production with significant renewable energy resources, available land, and ports ideally located to support potential hydrogen exports.
The Queensland Government is committed to working with the private sector to accelerate the production, use and export of hydrogen and secure a hydrogen future for all Queenslanders.
Hydrogen production will:
- play a critical role in helping us reach our target of 70% renewable energy by 2032, 80% renewable energy by 2035 and zero net emissions by 2050
- create new jobs
- open a new export market for the state
- attract foreign investment.
We will use our resources and renewable energy experience, and our unique attributes to position Queensland to become a leading hydrogen producer and exporter.
We will do this by:
- supporting large scale renewable energy sources for hydrogen
- securing new manufacturing for the hydrogen supply chain
- building Queensland’s capability in large scale electrolyser manufacturing.
We will also work with industry to:
- attract investment
- ensure regulations are fit for hydrogen
- provide clear policies about the use of energy and port assets in Queensland.
What we are doing
In 2019, the Queensland Government released the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024 (the strategy), a 5-year plan to grow a sustainable hydrogen industry that supports renewable resources, creates jobs and strengthens our economy.
The Queensland Government has invested more than $110 million as part of its Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy to capitalise on emerging domestic and international renewable hydrogen opportunities.
As a deliverable through the strategy, the Queensland Government released the Queensland Hydrogen Investor Toolkit (PDF, 206KB) to assist investors planning to undertake hydrogen project developments in Queensland. The Toolkit, updated in 2022, provides an overview of the planning and information on other regulatory approvals in Queensland.
In October 2022, the Enabling Queensland’s hydrogen production and export opportunities report was released. The report provides a detailed assessment of Queensland’s potential for hydrogen production and export including detailed insights on the opportunities and challenges by region.
The Queensland Government has committed to refreshing the Hydrogen Industry Strategy for 2024-2028. The strategy will support the sector’s growth and play a role in the state achieving its renewable energy targets.
- Last updated:
- 26 July 2023