Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > Construction > Building and plumbing > Pool safety > Pool or spa registration frequently asked questions

Pool or spa registration frequently asked questions

What is the deadline to register my pool or spa?

Pools had to be registered by midnight Friday 4 November 2011.

When do I need a pool safety certificate?

You are not required to obtain a pool safety certificate unless you are selling or leasing a property with a pool.

Regardless of whether a pool safety certificate is required or not all pool owners must ensure their pool complies with the current pool safety standard.

How do I register my pool or spa?

  1. Visit the pool safety register page.
  2. Select the search for a property link.
  3. Enter your property’s details into the fields provided.
  4. Select ‘search’.
  5. If:
    • ‘A pool is currently registered on this property’ appears, the registration is complete.
    • ‘No pools are recorded on this property’ appears, select the link provided.
  6. Add details including number of pools or spas, shared pool status and contact information.
  7. Select ‘Send’.
  8. You have now registered your pool or spa.

Will I receive a fine if I don’t register my pool?

If the department is notified of un-registered pools an on-the-spot fine of $235.60 may be issued or a maximum court penalty of $2356.

My spa has a fully lockable, solid cover. Do I still need to have a complying barrier for the spa, and why?

Yes. There is still the potential for the lockable lid to be left open or unlocked.

For this reason, a complying pool safety barrier is required for spas and some portable wading pools.

Do I need to register my outdoor spa?

Yes. If you have a residential swimming pool or outdoor spa, you must register your property’s information with the department.

Do I need to register or fence my portable wading pool?

The new laws do not apply to portable pools if they:

  • hold less than 300 millimetres of water
  • have a volume of less than 2000 litres
  • have no filtration system.

All 3 criteria must be met to be exempt.​

Last updated 26 October 2018    Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2019

Queensland Government