Skip links and keyboard navigation

Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to content | Skip to footer | Use tab and cursor keys to move around the page (more information)
Skip Navigation LinksDepartment of Housing and Public Works > About us > Information privacy

Information privacy

​The Queensland Government collects and manages personal information held in government in accordance with Information Privacy Act 2009. The primary intent of the legislation is to protect the personal information collected and used in the delivery of government services and the conduct of government business. For more information visit the Right to Information website or contact:

Manager, Right to Information and Privacy
Legal Services
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 2457

From 1 July, the Information Privacy Act 2009 replaced Queensland’s administrative privacy scheme under Information Standard 42 and Information Standard 42A.

How do I make an application to access my personal information?

Information privacy application forms are available online. The application must:

  • be on the approved form
  • give sufficient information concerning the document to enable the responsible officer of the agency or the minister to identify the document and
  • state an address to which notices under the Act may be sent to the applicant.

If you’re seeking documents including your own personal information, you need to provide a certified copy of an identity document, e.g. a passport, driver’s licence or birth certificate.

If you’re an agent you need to provide the applicant’s agent’s authorisation and evidence of your (the agent’s) identity.

Applications should be sent to:

Manager, Right to Information and Privacy
Legal Services
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 2457

What is a certified copy?

A document is considered certified when it is a photocopy of an original document and witnessed by a lawyer or notary public, a commissioner for declarations or a justice of the peace as being a correct copy of the original document.

How much will it cost?

There is no application fee for an individual who wishes to access their personal information but access charges may be imposed for any documents that are provided to the applicant. The access charges are 20 cents per page, however charges may be waived if an individual is concerned the charges would cause financial hardship.  There are no access charges payable for documents provided on CD.

Holders of a health care card or pensioner concession card, issued under the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth) or the Veteran’s Entitlements Act 1986 (Cth), are deemed to be in financial hardship.

Original cards need to be presented with applications lodged in person. For postal applications, enclose certified copies of both sides of the card.

When will the application be processed?

The department has 25 business days in which to make a decision. This period can be extended if consultation with a third party is required.

Applications involving third parties

If the release of the documents may reasonably be expected to be of concern to a third party, the views of the third party are taken into account. The documents will not be provided to the applicant until the rights of review of the third party have expired or the review application is decided.

What happens when access is granted?

You will be notified in writing of the decision and provided with copies of the documents you’ve requested unless access charges are applicable. Payment of access charges are to be received before any documents are released. Should access be granted to other materials (such as tape and video recordings) and copies are not able to be sent to you, the decision maker will discuss with you how, when and where you can view the material.

What if I am refused access?

If you are refused access to a document, the department must provide written reasons for the decision and explain your rights of review. Applications for review of a decision must be made within 20 business days after the date of the written notice of decision.

Internal review

You can apply to the department for an internal review of a decision. The reviewing officer will make a new decision as if the original decision had not been made.

External review

You can apply to the Office of the Information Commissioner for an external review of the decision.

Office of the Information Commissioner
PO Box 10143
Adelaide Street

There are no fees for reviews of decisions.

Can I have documents amended?

If you have had access to a document from an agency or minister containing information relating to your personal information, or the personal information of a deceased person to whom you are next of kin, you can apply to an agency or minister for amendment of any part of the information if it is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading.

Requests for amendment must:

  • be in writing
  • specify an address to which notices may be sent
  • give particulars of the matters in relation to which you believe the information kept by the department or minister is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading
  • specify the amendments you wish to be made.

All applications for amendment of information should be sent to:

Manager, Right to Information and Privacy
Legal Services
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 2457

You will be notified of a decision within 25 business days from the date on which the application was received by the department.

More information

Manager, Right to Information and Privacy
Legal Services
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 2457
Phone: (07) 3224 5245
Fax: (07) 3224 6938

Last updated 09 July 2012

Copyright |  Disclaimer |  Privacy |  Right to information |  Accessibility |  Jobs in Queensland |  Other languages

© The State of Queensland – Department of Housing and Public Works 2009–2014

Queensland Government