- Community Recovery Hotline - 1800 173 349 is available for people to obtain information or that require support prior to, during and after a disaster.
- Community Recovery support is also available through Disasters and emergencies.
- The Homeless Hotline is free to call 24/7 on 1800 474 753.
- 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for other emergency housing concerns.
- Public housing tenants can use Tenant Self Service or the 'Tenant Assist Qld' app.
Under the State Disaster Management Plan (PDF, 2.4MB), we have been assigned the primary and pivotal functional support role for:
- Functional lead for human and social recovery
- Hazard lead for cyber security
- Functional lead for coordination of ICT and telecommunications advice
- Support functions on behalf of response and recovery agencies
We provide these services to support state departments and local government groups to undertake disaster response, relief and recovery operations. Find out more about how it works in our Disaster Management Plan (PDF, 2031.26 KB).
What we offer
Human and Social recovery
In any given year, Queensland experiences a range of disasters, including bushfires, floods, severe weather events such as storms and cyclones. In addition to these, other significant emergency events may occur, including pandemics and emergency animal or plant diseases that have significant community consequences.
The Department has functional lead agency responsibility for Human and Social Recovery under the Queensland Disaster Management Arrangements. The Department coordinates, purchases and/or delivers services that support the personal and collective emotional, social, physical and psychological health and wellbeing of disaster affected people.
During and after a disaster you may need practical assistance or community support to assist you and your family. Our regional community support services brochures provide information and contact details for key community services available in your area.
Further information can also be found at Disasters and emergencies.
During a disaster, we support local governments by providing temporary emergency accommodation solutions, using arrangements outlined in our Temporary Emergency Accommodation Sub Plan (PDF, 648KB).
We also help people with immediate and long term housing needs that have resulted from a natural disaster.