Building and construction developer review
The Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 (QBCC Act) requires that a review of the role of developers in the building and construction industry be undertaken and that a report on the outcomes of the review be tabled by the Minister in Parliament.
The review follows building and construction industry feedback about the important role of developers, and the need to examine the impact of their financial and operational capacity, ethical behaviour and work practices.
This will support the Queensland Government’s commitment to ensure all participants in the industry are operating on a fair and level playing field.
About the Panel
The Developer Review Panel was announced by the Minister on 13 November 2021.
In accordance with the Terms of Reference (PDF, 399.2 KB), the Panel will:
- advance the work already done by the Queensland Government to support security of payment in the building and construction industry, mainly in relation to subcontractors, and to effect change from a culture of late or non-payment to a culture of on-time payment. The Panel will examine the role of developers in this context.
- consider the impact developers have on the quality and safety of design, construction and certification of buildings and other work practices, including the incidence of defective works.
Read the Panel’s work plan and stakeholder engagement plan (PDF, 381.9 KB) for details of:
- the key areas of focus for the review
- how the Panel has defined ‘development activity’ to inform the scope of the review
- how the Panel will communicate and consult with industry and the community
- the timing for the Panel’s activities.
All stakeholders involved in the building and construction industry, including development activities, will have the opportunity to participate in the review, including developers, builders, subcontractors, the finance and insurance sectors, the legal sector and consumers.
The Panel meets regularly and more details about the Panel’s work will be provided as they become available.
Industry Reference Group (IRG)
The Panel is supported by an Industry Reference Group (IRG) which comprises representatives from the:
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
- Australian Institute of Architects
- Housing Industry Association
- Insurance Council of Australia
- Local Government Association of Queensland
- Master Builders Queensland
- Property Council of Australia
- Queensland Building and Construction Commission
- Queensland Council of Unions
- Queensland Law Society
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Urban Development Institute of Australia – Queensland
The Panel convened the first meeting of the IRG in March 2022. The IRG will continue to act as a key forum of industry engagement for the Panel.
- Last updated:
- 9 September 2022