We develop policies and deliver projects to provide safe, secure, reliable, affordable, and sustainable energy resources to Queensland households and businesses. We contribute to an adaptive, resilient energy sector that powers consumer value and choice, and Queensland’s economic growth and prosperity.
The state’s electricity network is extensive, with a total line length of about 224,000 km across regional Queensland and South East Queensland. Electricity supply is also provided to 39 remote off-grid communities by 33 isolated power stations. It’s a reliable network serving 2.5 million residential households and small business electricity and gas customers, and almost 19,000 large electricity and gas customers. Since 2015, Queensland has seen remarkable growth of renewable generation, contributing to lower electricity costs, reduced emissions and creation of new jobs.
Queensland’s electricity demand is currently generated by over 20% renewable sources such as solar and wind. We are committed to reaching 50% renewables by 2030, and delivering some of the nation’s cheapest, cleanest, most reliable electricity. Our Queensland Renewable Energy Zones initiative will play a key role in renewable energy growth in Queensland over the coming years, while also contributing significantly to the jobs growth in regional Queensland.
Our key priorities and responsibilities include:
- supporting and growing Queensland’s renewable energy
- creating jobs for a sustainable and affordable energy future to benefit Queensland communities, workers and our economy
- making electricity more affordable for residential and business customers
- supporting Queensland electricity customers with relief and concession payments
- administering the Queensland Government’s Community Service Obligation payments to subsidise regulated prices for regional Queenslanders
- regulating Queensland’s electricity and gas supply industries, and bio-based petrol and diesel mandates
- maintaining the fuel price reporting scheme to help motorists shop around and save at the bowser
- leading Queensland’s engagement with the Energy National Cabinet Reform Committee as it progresses electricity and gas market reforms
- deliver an Energy Plan to transform Queensland's supply, grid and storage, and ensure we progress towards our renewable energy and whole-of-government emissions targets.
- Energy programs and initiatives
- Energy in your home
- Energy in your business
- Energy concessions
- Energy industry
- Selling fuel in Queensland
- Last updated:
- 5 May 2022